I have 5 days left in Puerto Rico... so in honor of them, I figured I would share 5 lessons I've learned while being here...
Lesson #1 Never forget to pass along your blessings; sharing is caring.
I have been amazed by how eagerly everyone here has been to share however little or much they have with me. Whether it's a car ride, a shower, or rice and beans, people were never hesitant to help me in any way they could. It's made me so much more aware of just how much we have... and how much God has blessed us. I think I'll always be a little more ready to pass on my blessings from now on...Lesson #2 Never take your shower for granted, or your clean water.
Now, I've always thought I was a pretty grounded person in most regards. I don't feel like I'm someone who has to have the newest and latest of everything... but I learned true appreciation during my stay here. My house does not have hot water... which means that I was never able to take a hot shower. Don't worry, you get used to the cold showers more quickly than you'd think, and honestly, with as hot as it gets here... sometimes they are nice =) Anyways... I thought God was teaching me a good lesson about appreciating the blessings in my life... even the little ones, and I was okay with learning the lesson. Well... apparently He thought I needed a little more intensive course, because our shower broke. I mean... no water comes out of it through the shower head, or the bath faucet. 2 1/2 months later and a gallon jug that's become my new best friend... I'm ready for a shower. A REAL shower. I don't even care if it's hot or not. I've had some people here ask me how I dealt with that... and I told them my honest answer~ at first I was irritated, but then when I was dumping water on my head I was reminded of how many people would give anything for what I had... clean water. Once you think about it like that... it doesn't seem so bad.Lesson #3 Never take your independence for granted; even if gas is $4/gallon.
I don't have a car here. It didn't seem like it was worth the hassle for one year... Luckily, I've had some wonderful people who, by now, must feel like a taxi service for me! Even with all of their kind help of transporting me to places I needed to go... I still missed the ability to just get up and "go" whenever I wanted to. Where I live you can't really go for walks... it's hard to explain, but if you were to see it, you'd understand. I felt very cramped inside of a room a lot of the time... so before you complain next time that you're bored... or there's nothing to do... really think about what you're saying. There are endless opportunities in front of you. Go for a walk. Take a drive. Spend time in a room other than your bedroom... I know I'm looking forward to that.Lesson #4 Never forget what it feels like to be the minority; help others.
I have been part of the majority my entire life in so many ways... until July 18th of 2007 when I moved to Puerto Rico. I was in a place where I looked different than everyone around me (Well, kinda. I got confused for a Puerto Rican several times...) I spoke a different language, ate different food, and listened to different music (Hello Country! I can't wait for a radio station that plays that!) The point is, I learned what it felt like to be in the other person's shoes, and I am making it a point not to ever forget that in the future. It has made me more aware of others and their possible needs that I could help with, instead of letting them struggle through on their own. It's made me less egocentric, and more open eyed to those around me, whether I know them or not.Lesson #5 Never forget that if God calls you to it, He's going to get you through it!
1 comment:
Sounds like some good lessons. When we are on the main island, we always use a guy named Jose who looks like a hispanic Danny Devito. He's great. My aunt and uncle hire him out every time they hit the mainland. I really wish we could have visited you while you were down there. That would have been a lot of fun. Have a great time in your last few days there!
Post a Comment